A few years back around the holiday season there was a charity compilation called GIVE. The 30-track release featured songs from just about every local buzz band from three years and change ago and the proceeds from the record all went to local food banks and Arts Corps, a local nonprofit arts organization.
It’s been a few years but GIVE is back with its 2013 compilation and it’s equally as impressive as its 2009 offering. The GIVE 2013 compilation features 27 tracks and this year all of the proceeds will benefit the all-ages music and arts venue The Vera Project. The download-only release costs $10 and can be purchased here. If you prefer something physical you can purchase download cards at all Caffe Vita locations (Caffe Vita is releasing the comp) and the Redhook brewery.
From the archives: GIVE is Seattle music fit for giving
I’ve spend the past few days enjoying GIVE 2013 and I can’t recommend it enough. Unlike the previous edition, this year’s GIVE isn’t a 100 percent local effort as it includes artists like The Vaselines, Dum Dum Girls and of Montreal. But those acts do have local ties since Dum Dum Girls and The Vaselines are both on Sub Pop and of Montreal seems to like Seattle quite a bit so that has to count for something.
Aside from the non-local offerings, there are quite a few unreleased gems from some local favorites on GIVE 2013 too. The unreleased TilsonXOXO (aka Tilson from The Saturday Knights) track “Nevereverland” and Brent Amaker and the Rodeo‘s “Top of the Food Chain” are two GIVE songs I can’t get enough of right now. Other excellent offerings come from Guerrilla Candy favs The Physics, Mt St Helens Vietnam Band, Shabazz Palaces, OC Notes, TacocaT, The Young Evils, Don’t Talk to the Cops and SEACATS. The full track list is below.
As if giving to the Vera Project with a killer compilation of local musicians wasn’t enough, there will also be a benefit concert featuring The Maldives‘ Jason Dodson, RA Scion and performances by Rainbow of the Can Can Castaways at Barboza on Feb.13th. More artists are expected to be added to be bill in the coming weeks. Tickets for the show are on sale now at thebarboza.com.
GIVE 2013 track list
- Sweet Pups - Shake
- The Vaselines - Sex With An Ex
- TacocaT - Spring Break Up
- Don’t Talk to the Cops! - Workin’ On Them Teeth
- The Physics - King Me
- Pearl Dragon - Mr. Washington
- OCnotes - You Can Never Break My Heart
- of Montreal - Micro University
- The Young Evils - Puerto Escondido (written by Jeff Albertson of The Lights)
- Telekinesis - Feels Like a Film
- Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band - At Night
- Dude York - Stellar Nursery
- Carissa’s Wierd - Meredith and Iris
- Brent Amaker and the Rodeo - Top of the Food Chain
- The Head and the Heart - Down in the Valley
- The Maldives - Old Wolf
- TilsonXOXO - Nevereverland
- J. Pinder - Lose Lose Feat. Lurell Low (Produced by Vitamin D)
- Shabazz Palaces - Swerve The Reaping Of All That Is Worthwhile Noir Not Withstanding
- Vox Mod - Holocene Halocline
- Dum Dum Girls - Bedroom Eyes
- Fruit Bats - Tangie and Ray
- SEACATS - Wrecked
- Seapony - What You Wanted
- Gold Leaves - Cruel/Kind
- Lemolo - On Again, Off Again
- Beat Connection - Like A Heartbeat